I found some nicer looking deep photoframes at the warehouse a couple of weeks back, and my large piece of protoboard finally arrived this week so I was able to start with the mockups. These are made of a plastic profile which has been assembled around the glass and front matt, as it is already black I dont have to paint it like I would with that horrid wooden frame, and its got loads of room inside it so that the other stuff can be out of sight around the edges.
Here are some photos.
The board is not quite large enough to fill the frame area of the frames and do 2 of them which is what I had hoped, but if you look at the later on ones, if the board was right at the back directly on the MDF/whatever board backing, it would have the digits a long way back from the glass.
If I cut it into 2, I can then trim it down and mount it ontop of some standoffs etc to get the displays closer to the front. That will reduce the spare space around it for the arduino chip, shift registers etc, but I am sure I can make it fit and get 2 of them out of it. Plus if its on standoffs there is the rear of the board to stick stuff as well which wouldnt be available if it was fully at the back of the photo frame.
They had larger frames, I am tempted to go get the 5×7 or the next one up and order another protoboard and make a really big one once these are done. Then I could use 2″ displays or something in it.